What Are Wedding Invitation Business Start Up Costs?



The wedding invitation business start up costs are so minimal, and the profits level is so very high, it's a marvel everybody and their sibling doesn't offer for sale wedding invitations. And thank heavens they don't. That leaves more business for me!

When I first started researching the wedding invitation and stationery business I couldn't believe how low the start up costs were. I thought there was either some mistake or some kind of magic involved. Especially when I heard that there was virtually no risk at all of losing any of your own money and that everything you made after your initial set up costs was almost pure profit.

So I had to give it a go. I mean, who wouldn't? Almost zero start up costs and guaranteed profit? Sounds like a sure thing to me. Was it too good to be true? I was about to find out.

I first contacted several suppliers of ready made wedding invitations and stationery and asked them if they had a program that would allow me to be an agent for their company. I had read that this was the best way to start and that, for very little money, I would receive all the samples of their products as well as support materials, like ordering information and price sheets and training materials to help you with your selling process. And sure enough, 3 of them sent me kits right away. And for less than $100, too.

I also took their advice and consulted with an accountant, just to be on the safe side. For a one time consultation fee of only $20, I found out everything I needed to know about how to set up my business bookkeeping so Uncle Sam wouldn't come looking for me in a year or two. He also pointed me in the right direction for the license that I needed to be able to operate a business from home. And he told me how to go about getting a tax exempt number so I wouldn't have to pay sales tax on any business supplies I bought. At his suggestion, I also set up a free business checking account at the bank on the corner which is also something Uncle Sam looks for.

So for way less than $200 I was in business. And every time I took an order for wedding invitations, I also collected a non-refundable deposit from the client. I then used that deposit to order and pay for their invitations. And then, when I delivered them, I collected the balance and put it in my business checking account.

And even now, when I sell my more expensive bespoke invitations and stationery that I create myself, I'm still not risking any of my own money because I just ask for a deposit before I start and that covers the expense of any supplies I might need. So in answer to the question, “What are wedding invitation business start up costs?” I say, who cares?! They're too small to even notice!